Monday 21 May 2012

Rita Taylor//Knit Nerds

Today's knit nerd is Rita Taylor, designer of various lace shawls, scarfs and other knits - she's also had her designs in several magazines and works alongside Artesano yarns. Here she is:

How long have you been knitting and who taught you?
I’ve been knitting since I was 7, and I’m a lot more than that now! We were taught at school and the first things we made were a pair of socks using 3ply on 2.75mm needles. I was hopeless at turning the heel and Miss Moir said I would never be any good at knitting so I might as well sit at the back and read a book!
What is your favourite thing to knit?
I don’t have any real favourites – I just love whatever I am going to do next.
Who is your biggest knitting inspiration?
I suppose Kaffe Fassett was my biggest inspiration as he taught me not to be afraid of using lots of colour, and never mind about sewing in the ends.
What is your favourite finished object of your own?
It is actually a crochet top made with Colinette mohair and silk
What has been your favourite thing to design so far?
I loved doing the man’s Fair Isle pullover.
What led you to start designing your own pieces?
I used to knit jumpers for the students at Birmingham University and they always wanted something different, so I started designing things specially for them
If you could give 3 pieces of knitting advice, what would they be?
Take accurate measurements of whoever you are knitting for; do your tension square in the pattern you are using; don’t be afraid to experiment.

Rita has offered up a giveaway of a pattern for a child's add your own yoke gansey, shown here:
Rita's patterns are really lovely, easy to read and nice to knit from. To enter the giveaway just leave a wee comment showing Rita some love - I will draw a name using random.org next Sunday (27th May) evening.

At the moment Rita's website is having work done on it but you can find her on ravelry as berrycat. A huge thank you to Rita for her lovely interview, and indeed to all of my upcoming knit nerds - it's been fun interviewing you. If you would like to be a knit nerd, feel free to contact me.

V xo

6 comments:

  1. Wow! That's a nice dress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice interview ... Rita's designs are beautiful. Thanks so much for the giveway!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rita has wonderful designs; I love the brown sweater.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great advice, Rita! Love the designs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Rita, I had to laugh and shake my head at your teacher telling you ...at age 7...you were never going to be able to knit. Bad teachers can sure put a kid down by saying such stupid things. No one at 7 should be told they're never going to be able to do anything....hope she soon retired. When you say jumper, I assume you mean sweater...you're English? First couple of times I heard people talking about making jumpers, I was confused.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These interviews are very interesting! Loved learning from Rita. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete