Tuesday 19 March 2013

Libby//Knit Nerds

Yay a lovely new knit nerd; this is the gorgeous and super talented Libby of Truly Myrtle - she runs fun knitalongs through her blog and knits the most beautiful cardigan's I've ever seen. So here she is:
 1. How long have you been knitting/crocheting and who taught you?
My grandmother taught me to knit when I was a little girl and I leapt straight into experimenting with colourwork and stitch patterns; I was fascinated with making up my own. My mum still has the first crazy, colourful recorder case I "designed" as a kid.
 2. What is your favourite yarny thing to make?
Cardigans are my hands down favourite. I tend towards making "useful" things, hence my Handmade Wardrobe project this year. I'm on a mission to create one whole outfit every month; knitted, sewn and other crafts too. So far, so good. It's proving to be quite a lot of work, but I'm having a ball. I also make clothes for my four kids fairly frequently. There's nothing nicer than a little person wrapped up in your own handknits :)
 3. Who is your biggest yarny inspiration?
That's a tricky one! I have a handful of knitting "crushes" and I'm discovering exciting new designers and dyers every week. I get such a kick from seeing knitters, designers and dyers stretching the boundaries and exploring new ideas , no matter how wacky or far from my taste that may be.

4. What is your favourite completed object?
I recently made the Audrey in Unst Cardigan in beautiful Skein Queen yarn. I think it is the loveliest thing I've every made :) It's closely followed by my recent Flowing Lines sweater in delicious Malabrigo, I was super pleased with how that turned out too.
 5. What inspired you to start your blog?
I'd been reading knitting and craft blogs for a while before I started Truly Myrtle just over a year ago. I didn't know hardly any knitting or sewing people in my real life and had a burning desire to "talk" about the stuff I was making. It's been a fun year, I've "met" so many wonderful people and I'm really enjoying being part of the buzzing international knitting community. There's been some unexpected delights too, I've discovered that I love photography and I'm set on learning everything I can about that. In fact, I've got lots of hopes and dreams for Truly Myrtle and I'm so looking forward to seeing where we are year or two from now.      
6. If you could give 3 pieces of yarny advice, what would they be?
Knit often. The more you knit, the more you learn, the better you get and the more fun it is!
Use fabulous yarn whenever you can. It really makes the whole process that much more delicious.
Find yourself some knitterly friends. They might be in real life, or online. No matter which, knitters are very lovely people :)
 
Libby is running a knit along right now over on her blog here is what she has to say about it:
I'm running a knit along at the moment at Truly Myrtle. We're knitting Jane Richmond's Grace cardigan until mid-April. There is a lovely prize for one lucky knitter and everyone is welcome to join in! More details on the Grace knit along page at Truly Myrtle.
 
You can find Libby in all of these places:
Blog: Truly Myrtle; Ravelry: trulymyrtle; Twitter: trulymyrtle and Instagram: trulymyrtlephotos
 
Make sure you check out Libby's blog; and leave her some love here too.
V xo
 
P.S - I'm still looking for people to feature as knit nerds; if you want to play along just contact me!!

5 comments:

  1. Hey, thank you! I'm very proud to be a knitting nerd :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely interview and post with Libby! I very much enjoy following her blog. But, it's always fun to "see" someone outside their own space. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such lovely photos and sweet sweaters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, I'd love to do a knit nerd interview if you'll have me!

      Delete