Friday 12 July 2013

Techniques 1//Year of Projects

Last week I shared the beginning of my projects list for Year of Projects; this week I am sharing Techniques 1 - this is the start of my list of techniques for 2013/2014.

I always want to learn lots but I want to try and remain sensible - I don't want to put any pressure on myself so here we go:

- picking up stitches: I can do this on yarn thicker than DK but I have not learned it on 4-ply which is
                                  obviously important for socks.
- complex cables: By complex I mean a piece that uses more than one type of cable
- modifications: I really want to knit something that requires me to make some kind of modification, I
                          do have something in mind for this already but we'll see if it works out!!!!

V xo

5 comments:

  1. Great skills to want to attain--I a with you on the picking up stitches thing--I have done very small areas, but the shawl I am working on for the fall will require me to pick up 180 stitches!! Ack!
    Have a great weekend...
    *smiles*

    ReplyDelete
  2. All of these are worthwhile and you'll use them over and over. For learning how to make modifications, I highly recommend the book Knit to Flatter (Amy Herzog). Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great skills! Complex cables are no harder than ordinary cables, as long as you can keep track of where you are in the pattern. But then again, my first cables were this: http://www.ravelry.com/projects/GirlAnachronismE/celtic-motif-knot-85 and everything afterwards is always easier :P

    And when picking up stitches for socks, you are working with slipped stitches, which are much bigger and easier to see and pick up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good list of skills to learn and pick up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds like great goals. Modifications can be very difficult.

    ReplyDelete