Saturday 31 August 2013

Oooh//Spinny News

I bought a spindle, yup you read that right - I BOUGHT A SPINDLE. She's a beautiful ashford, finished in Walnut and I already love her. I haven't had time to get a practice in yet because I went to a little party last night and may have gotten a tiny bit drunk (I said may have, don't judge me!!). Anyways I bought my spindle (who really needs a name, any ideas?) preloved, in knitting I bought most of my straight needles from charity shops - I like things that have a past - with a sense of history. So here she is:    
 The lovely lady who sold me beautiful Miss Spindle, sent me a bunch of fibers, including Merino and Shetland - I'm so excited to play with these, I can't figure out which one is my favourite - or which one to spin first:
I also asked on Ravelry if anybody had any fiber they would be willing to sell - just small amounts so I could play with a variety of different things. Well I had someone contact me who was willing to send me a RAK (random act of kindness) of fibres. She very kindly put labels on all of them - which really helps and she sent me loads!!! Here is a bunch of pretties:
 And then she popped some of the fluffier fibres in separate envelopes - and they are beautiful. This Honey Soya is so soft and the colour is stunning:
 Angora (a bit sneezy) is definitely sneezy - I might be allergic but I will still attempt to spin it after taking a antihistamine. The colour is so pretty - this would make something nice and wintery:
 This is silk hanky..... and is also very beautiful - I need to google what exactly I need to do with this but I'm excited:
 This is my favourite (I think) of all the fibers, Tussah (wild) Silk - it is unbelievably soft and the colour is yummy. What do you think this will be?
 I am super looking forward to having a play - maybe tomorrow? Do you spin? Do you have a wheel or a spindle? And do you have advice for a newbie? Also if you spin, are in the UK and you're on Ravelry make sure you join the UK Spindlers and UK Spinners groups.
Have a fibery weekend!
Vxo

5 comments:

  1. "SPINDERELLA" sounds good... seeing as You did get that FLEECY-"GODMOTHER" gift *FUN* to play with...
    :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That was a great RAK! Pretty fibers...

    ReplyDelete
  3. What lovely finds. I do spin with a spindle, but not as much as I should. I haven't tried many fibers either :( But if you ever need advice I can sure try! Happy spinning!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that is such a lovely gift! I hope you enjoy the spinning!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vicki!
    I wanted to let you know that I have passed the Liebster Award on to you. Your blog is great and so is your craft! :)

    For more information:
    http://ayarnfullife.blogspot.com/2013/10/the-liebster-award.html

    xo

    emily

    ReplyDelete